More than 3000 events

May 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Edited May 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Hi Team,

I have more than 3000 events and I'm trying to implement the timeline in a Silverlight project.

Could you suggest me an approach: can I use your control with maximum performance?

Coordinator
May 5, 2011 at 7:21 PM

3000 should not be a problem.

The control does not generate all UI elements for all of them right away, but only for those visible.This makes it relatively quick.

The only two things, I can think of, is that the control orders events by startdate, if you already have them sorted we could eliminate this step by providing additional flag. Yet another is that the control has to iterated all the items when calculating all currently visible (this area probably can be improved).

Anyway, If you will meet a performance problem let me know, we will resolve it.

May 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Thank you, Andrew.

Yeah, I've explored the source and I've found that there it checks currently visible events and manages them (creates/removes). I've tested on 9000 and it is quite slow on loading. I suppose it's because of two things of which you're talking.

Coordinator
May 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Do you have performance hit when you load the events or also when you scroll through them?

May 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Edited May 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Scrolling is jerky and on loading I have periodically not responding Silverlight plugin.

Coordinator
May 6, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Can you please open a bug and, if possible, attach your test solution. If you cannot attach test solution please indicate how you load data (xml, WCF, etc), also if any of your events have duration or not.

May 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Edited May 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Done, http://timeline.codeplex.com/workitem/8756